Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS®)
Quantum Design, Inc. Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS®) EverCool-II®
The Quantum Design PPMS represents a unique concept in laboratory equipment: an open architecture, variable temperature-field system, designed to perform a variety of automated measurements. Use the PPMS with our specially-designed measurement options, or easily adapt it to your own experiments. Sample environment controls include fields up to ±16 tesla and temperature range of 1.9 - 400 K. Its advanced expandable design combines many features in one instrument to make the PPMS the most versatile system of its kind.
Cryogen-Free Option Available Now! The Quantum Design PPMS EverCool-II® is an exciting cryogen-free enhancement to our industry-leading Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS) product line. Available in new systems, or as an upgrade to your existing PPMS.
- Sealed sample chamber with 2.6 cm diameter sample access.
- EverCool-II cryogen-free cooling technology.
- Versatile sample mounts couple easily to the 12 electrical leads built into the cryostat insert.
- The PPMS is controlled by the Model 6000, a sophisticated microprocessor-controlled device that eliminates the need to use or purchase external bridges, current or voltage sources, or lock-in amplifiers.
- Continuous Low-Temperature Control – maintains temperature below 4.2 K and offers smooth temperature transitions when warming and cooling through 4.2 K.
- Temperature Sweep Mode.
- User Experiments – External instruments may be controlled automatically using an integrated Visual Basic interface within our Windows-based MultiVu control software or by controlling external Visual C++, Delphi or Visual Basic programs. Click here for more details. In addition, our Grapher utility displays data as it is being collected.
PPMS Magnet Options
- Select from 7, 9, 14 and 16 tesla magnets.
- Or order a system with no magnet and add a magnet when needed.
- A split-coil 7 tesla transverse magnet is also available.
Integrated PPMS Measurement Applications
Low Temperature Stages
Helium-3 Refrigerator Option
- Continuous operation down to 0.5 K
- Compatible with Heat Capacity, Electrical Transport and DC Resistivity measurements
Dilution Refrigerator Option
- Continuous operation from 4 K down to 50 mK
- Compatible with Heat Capacity, AC Susceptibility for DR, and Electrical Transport measurements
Adiabatic Demagnetization Refrigerator (ADR)
- World’s fastest <100 mK cryogenic refrigerator for PPMS & DynaCool
- From 300 K to <100 mK in <3 hours
- Holds temperature below 1.9 K for more than 2 hours
- Allows DC resistivity and Electrical Transport measurements
- 8 leads allow for measurements of two samples simultaneously
- Sample space: 23 mm diameter and 14 mm height
- Allows ultra-low temperature measurements with lower financial investment
- Measurements only in zero field
- PPMS Requirements: High vacuum and DC resistivity
Heat Capacity Option
- Completely automated relaxation technique from 1.9 - 400 K
- Integrated data acquisition electronics and analysis software
Thermal Transport Option
AC Resistivity ρ
- Measured by using precision DSP current source and phase-sensitive voltage detection (AC Transport).
Thermal Conductivity κ
- Measured by applying heat from the heater shoe in order to create a user-specified temperature differential between the two thermometer shoes.
Seebeck Coefficient α
- Measured by creating a specified temperature drop between the two thermometer shoes - just as it does to measure thermal conductivity. However, for Seebeck coefficient the voltage drop created between the thermometer shoes is also monitored.
Thermoelectric Figure of Merit ZT
- Determined here simply as the algebraic combination α2T /(κρ) of the three measured quantities - thermal conductivity, Seebeck coefficient, and AC electrical resistivity.
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer Option (VSM)
- RMS Sensitivity: < 10-6 emu with 1 sec averaging
- Optional VSM Oven up to 1000 K
Torque Magnetometry Option
- Measures the magnetic torque = mBsinθ
- Designed to measure moments of very small anisotropic samples
AC Susceptibility Option (ACMS II)
- AC Susceptibility
- Sensitivity: 1 x 10-8 emu
- Amplitude: 0.005 Oe – 15 Oe (peak)
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz – 10 KHz
- Direct phase nulling technique measures and cancels background AC phase shifts at every measurement
- DC Magnetization
- Sensitivity: 5 x 10-6 emu
AC Susceptibility Option for DR (ACDR)
- AC Susceptibility
- Drive Amplitude: 0.002 Oe – 4 Oe (peak)
- Sensitivity: 5x10-7 emu
- Phase Accuracy: 2°
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz to 10 kHz
- DC Field Range
- Temperature Range
Ultra Low Field Option (ULF)
- Reduces residual field to < 0.1 G
- Choice of UV or IR Rod
- UV >90% transmittance 325 nm - 900 nm
- IR >90% transmittance 375 nm - 2250 nm
- Sample holder volume 2.68 mm3
- Moment Sensitivity <10-4 emu
- Choice of 150 W or 300 W light source
- Xenon Arc Lamp
- 10 position filter wheel
- 9 bandpass filters (436 nm, 470 nm, 500 nm, 530 nm, 555 nm, 585 nm, 640 nm, 740 nm, 850 nm)
AC Transport Option
- For performing AC Resistivity, Hall Effect, I-V Curve Tracing, and Critical Current measurements
- 1 nV sensitivity, nΩ resolution at 2 A
- Drive amplitude 10 μA to 2 A
DC Resistivity Option
- Four independent channels for performing DC resistivity
Electrical Transport Option (ETO)
- For performing AC Resistance, Hall Effect, I-V, and Differential Resistance (dV/dI vs. I) measurements.
- 1nV sensitivity, 10 nΩ resolution at 100 mA
- AC and DC drive amplitude 10 nA to 100 mA
- Resistance ranges from 10 µΩ to 5 GΩ
Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators
- Thermometer located on rotator platform.
- Precision, stepper controlled rotator.
- Direct axial ports to the sample stage are provided to install light pipes, fiber optic cables, microwave guides and/or extra electrical leads.
PPMS SPM by attocube Systems
PPMS SPM Features:
- Unrivaled performance in the PPMS environment
- Compatible with the PPMS operating range
- Temperature: 1.9 K – 400 K
- Field: ± 16 T
- MFM resolution: Below 20 nm
- Positioning range: 3 × 3 mm
- Scanning range: 12 × 12 μm2
Microscopy options include:
- Magnetic Force Microscope (attoMFM Ixs)
- Atomic Force Microscope (attoAFM Ixs)
- Scanning Hall Probe Microscope (attoSHPM xs)
- Confocal Microscope (attoCFM xs)
High Pressure Cell for Magnetometry
Introducing a novel, high pressure cell for magnetometry that allows easier sample insertion and removal without the need of an hydraulic press. This pressure cell, manufactured by HMD, comes in a complete kit that contains all the accessories you will need to aid in the characterization of your samples.
Benefits of the HMD Pressure Cell:
- All BeCu design for more uniform magnetic background
- No copper ring seal ensures easy sample removal
- All necessary accessories conveniently packaged
- Compatible with VSM transport
- No hydraulic press necessary
- Maximum Applied Pressure – 1.3 GPa
- Sample Space Diameter – 1.7 or 2.2 mm
- Sample Space Length – 7 mm max
- Cell Diameter – 8.5 mm
- Temperature Range – 1.8 to 400K
** Please Note: Requires VSM and Large Bore Coil Set **
Hydrostatic Pressure Cell for Electrical Measurements
Introducing a hydrostatic pressure cell for electrical measurements designed for use in all PPMS platform instruments (PPMS, DynaCool, VersaLab) . This pressure cell, manufactured by ElectroLab, is compatible with Quantum Design’s DC Resistivity, ACT and ETO measurement options.
Benefits of the ElectroLab Pressure Cell:
- Based on BeCu pressure cell technology
- Integrated external thermometer
- 10 sample leads (5 twisted pairs)
- Compatible with all QD PPMS platforms
- Manufactured by the leading supplier of hydrostatic pressure cells in Japan
- Several press sets also available
- Maximum Applied Load – 3.0 GPa
- Maximum Sample Pressure – 2.7 GPa
- Sample Space Diameter – 4.0 mm
- Sample Space Length – 6.0 mm max
- Temperature Range – 1.9 to 400K
NanOsc FMR Spectrometers
The CryoFMR spectrometer is a plug and play system that allows broadband CPW-FMR characterization with lock-in capability. It includes its own RF frequency source as well as lock-in detection module, so that the only parts required to conduct an experiment are a computer for software control and a PPMS platform. Temperature range: 4 K to 400 K. Frequency Range 2 to 17 GHz.
Measures relative expansion (dilation) and first derivative (coefficient of expansion) with respect to temperature and field, with sub-angstrom sensitivity. This is accomplished using a differential ratiometric capacitance bridge, operating at 2.340 kHz, which offers high sensitivity and dynamic range.